October 7, 2019 – Hewitt, TX – The U.S. Marine Corps. Reserve Toys for Tots Program is a non-profit charity with the goal of providing new, unwrapped toys, books, and other gifts to needy children in the local community in order to bring the joy of Christmas and send a message of hope to America’s less fortunate children.
Since 1991, this Marine Corps. Program has changed Christmas for the better across the board for families in need. The Salvation Army and KWTX News 10 have partnered with the Marines to bring Christmas to Central Texas’s children in need. The drive starts after Thanksgiving and will run through December 14. If you are unable to provide toys/books, the organization also accepts financial donations, and one can be sure that it’s a safe investment — 97% of your donation goes to their mission of providing gifts to less fortunate children. The remaining 3% covers fundraising expenses – not one donated dollar goes to pay for private salaries.
Another opportunity to give to America’s needy families lies in Central Texas’s Food For Families program. Since November of 1990, Food for Families has provided tens of millions of pounds of food for the needy. Caritas in Waco and the Food Center in Killeen helped establish food pantries in the counties where none existed, and were joined in time by volunteers from the Boy Scouts, H.E.B. Grocery Company, and the Texas Army National Guard to put food on the tables of Central Texas’s needy.
Celebrating its 30th anniversary this year, Food For Families has grown to become the largest one-day food drive in Texas. The organization encompasses 9 counties with 18 televised sites in Central Texas, making it all the easier to donate. Acceptable items for donation include: canned meats/vegetables, corn meal, chicken, sugar, pasta and pasta sauce, cereals, baby food, flour, rice, and other non-perishable food items.
Toys for Tots Donations can be made at:
- Friday, November 23rd – Walmart on Sun Valley Blvd. in Hewitt from 4p-7p
- Friday, December 30th – Walmart in Waco on Franklin Avenue from 4p-7p
- Friday, December 7th – Walmart on 31st Street in Temple from 4p-7p
- Friday, December 14th –
- Rusty Garrett and KWTX Studios at 6700 American Plaza from 4p-9p
- Elliot Wilson and Walmart on Stan Schlueter in Killeen from 5p-9p
- Brady Taylor and Walmart on West Adams in Temple from 5p-9p
Food For Families
- November 22nd – Baylor Scott & White Medical Center from 6a-8p
Hewitt’s annual Christmas tree lighting ceremony is coming up December 7th at the Hewitt Park. Join us in celebrating the spirit of Christmas and enjoy crafts, hot chocolate, and cookies, as well as fun pictures with Santa himself! Live entertainment will be provided by the Jubilee Woodwind Quintet and the Spring Valley 3rd Grade Choir. Attendees are also encouraged to bring a new, un-wrapped toy to give to Toys for Tots.
Contact: Kendall Lowe, Greater Hewitt Chamber Student Intern | (254) 666-1200 or email@example.com.